Expert says US military could be 50 percent robotic by 2015

Anynews unrelated to Terrorism

Moderators: Cell_Leader, ikaotiki, Julstar

123Rpg
Staff Sergeant [Command E-6 Grade]

Expert says US military could be 50 percent robotic by 2015

Post by 123Rpg »

A military expert has stated that by 2015, 50 percent of the US army could be composed of machines, indicating a substantial shift in the way wars will be fought and won in the not too distant future.

"The US military will be half machine and half human by 2015, a military expert told an audience on Wednesday. Speaking before a group at the Technology Entertainment and Design (TED) conference, military expert Peter Singer said the implementation of robot soldiers was near. "We are at a point of revolution in war, like the invention of the atomic bomb," Singer said."

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology ... c_by_2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lumburg
Captain [O-3]

Re: Expert says US military could be 50 percent robotic by 2015

Post by lumburg »

who is the military expert. Whenever you take and hold ground, one thing is constant and that is HUMAN boots on the ground, so either the entire military is going to be more like the infantry or the infantry is going to involve more MOS's or the infantry is going to increase. I can see the robotic application for many levels but its not going to make my job any less dangerous
See ya downrange Motherfuckers
Deploying AGAIN to a theatre near you
eju
Brigadier General [O-7]

Re: Expert says US military could be 50 percent robotic by 2015

Post by eju »

There was an excellent interview with Singer about robots in war just some days ago on Democracynow:

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/2/6/wi ... revolution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Julstar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Julstar »

I heard the same about German air force from a brigade general. (not 15 years and not concerning the whole German Army). But he said, it is quite clear that the Eurofighter will be the last generation of manned fighter jets in the German air force (Bundes-Luftwaffe). Based on the last generation (Tornado, Starfighter, Phantom), he said in about 20-30 years, there will be no pilots anymore in all modern air forces around the globe ...

Quite frightening, I would say. ...